Towers Historical Info
The Towers is the city’s tallest commercial building at 15 stories and is the last and largest structure from the pre-drepression building boom in downtown Bellingham. It was originally conceived as a hotel, and later redeveloped as a residential and professional office building. The hotel celebrated its grand opening in 1930.
After roughly 30 years in business, the Bellingham Hotel completed its chapter 11 bankruptcy and officially closed its doors. In 1962 the former Bellingham Hotel was reopened as a luxury apartment building. Hotel rooms were remodeled into 82 apartment units. Other renovations included the installation of an automatic elevator, a new coffee shop and kitchen, and space for retail shops.
In 1974, the Bellingham Hotel was converted into commercial office space and renamed the Bellingham Towers. The two-phase renovation remodeling was completed on the top floor restaurant, called the High Country. This renovation also saw the installation of two new high-speed elevators, coveted as the “fastest north of Seattle”.
The present owner, Mike Hollander, purchased the building in 1997 and began what is hoped to be the final overhaul of the Bellingham Towers, to restore it to its original historic beauty. The building now features tastefully appointed, fully renovated office space to suit a wide variety of needs.